The need to protect the Western Approaches to the UK has been a constant challenge throughout history (See: https://lagill6.wordpress.com/2018/11/09/cromwells-castle/ ). Although Tresco is a very small island (little more than 2 miles x 1 mile) from 1917 -1919 it was the base for a small group of flying boats as part of the Royal Navy Air Service. The function of these planes was to protect the Approaches from attack by U-boats and to provide escort for convoys. The crews received several decorations in recognition of their services. n 1918 the small squadron be came No. 234 Squadron of the Royal Air Force.
The area that was once the base has been converted into the Flying Boat Club complete with restaurant, bar and health spa facilities. The swimming pool area is decorated with a delightful mural capturing aspects of life in the early years of the last century.