Happisburgh lighthouse is located on the East Norfolk coast in the UK. This stretch of coast is notorious for its sandbanks and 70 sailing ships and 600 men were lost during a severe winter storm in 1789. As a direct consequence of these events the lighthouse was built the following year, 1790. Indeed, two were built at different heights but the lower of the two was demolished in 1883 when it was threatened by coastal erosion.
Despite being offiicially decomissioned in 1988, the lighthouse was ‘rescued’ by local enthusiasts and is the only independently operated lighthouse in the UK.
The tower is 85 feet tall and the lantern is 134 feet above sea level. Three white flashes are repeated every 30 seconds and the light can be seen for 18 miles. It is painted with red and white bands to distinguish it during the hours of daylight from a neighbouring lighthouse at Winterton.